Re: Cayenne does not throw an exception when an outer join is attempted

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..mail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2006 - 15:28:01 EDT

    > > simply have a query.setJoinType(JoinType.OUTER) to enable and disable
    >
    > I would say this should be done in Expression, not Query, as this
    > affects individual joins.

    Technically, I think it's going to be challenging to implement this at
    the Expression level rather than the query level. By the time the
    SelectTranslator gets involved, it looks to me like the joins have all
    already been disassociated with the Expressions. It's unclear to me
    whether all of the qualifiers have been disassociated with the
    expressions at this point, but I think this wouldn't be a problem.

    At least in Oracle, I need to add a (+) after every outer-joined-table
    column name in the join qualifiers ["db relationship joins"] and after
    every outer-joined-table column name in the selection qualifiers
    ["parent qualifier"].

    I think in my own use cases, like Øyvind's, I'm ok with everything
    being an outer join if anything is an outer join.