Translating outer joins

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2006 - 17:00:00 EDT

    On Aug 17, 2006, at 3:28 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

    > At least in Oracle, I need to add a (+) after every outer-joined-table
    > column name in the join qualifiers ["db relationship joins"] and after
    > every outer-joined-table column name in the selection qualifiers
    > ["parent qualifier"].

    It would be nice if we could implement the translator using standard
    SQL syntax ("left outer join" instead of "(+)"), as it will work on
    most DB's including Oracle (starting from 9i), while the "(+)" syntax
    only works on Oracle (and is probably considered legacy syntax by
    Oracle too).

    select
        name,
        department_name
    from
        employees e
        left outer join
        departments d
    on
        e.department_id = d.department_id;

    It will be somewhat harder to implement, but will solve the issue
    once and for all.

    Andrus