Re: Translating outer joins

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..mail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2006 - 17:08:48 EDT

    > It would be nice if we could implement the translator using standard
    > SQL syntax ("left outer join" instead of "(+)"), as it will work on
    > most DB's including Oracle (starting from 9i), while the "(+)" syntax
    > only works on Oracle (and is probably considered legacy syntax by
    > Oracle too).
    >
    > select
    > name,
    > department_name
    > from
    > employees e
    > left outer join
    > departments d
    > on
    > e.department_id = d.department_id;
    >
    > It will be somewhat harder to implement, but will solve the issue
    > once and for all.

    Well, sure, now you tell me :-)

    My Oracle Reference Book is Oracle8, so I didn't realize we had a
    better choice :-)

    I guess I need to see if I can find some documentation on this format.

    The simple example is obvious, but what does it look like with more
    tables involved, some with more outer joins and some without?