Re: Outer join status [Was: Building null-checking expression without calling objectNode() twice?]

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..mail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 10:53:47 EDT

    > I am not surprised that translator code is so hard to refactor - it
    > was one of the first pieces we wrote in Cayenne and some rework was
    > long overdue.

    Glad to hear it. It's definitely improved in my current checkout :-)

    > I guess I can check the details once you have a patch in place. Now I
    > just wanted to make sure I understand proposed null handling. So you
    > are planning to convert all "NOT SOMETHING" expressions to the form
    > like this "t0.X IS NULL OR t0.X <> ?" (if the bound parameter is not
    > null itself I guess). Probably the right way to handle it.

    Yep, that's what I eventually ended up doing. I forgot the "bound
    parameter is not null" exclusion at first, but the preexisting unit
    tests caught it :-)

    > Do you think it is worth having a separate patch just for this feature?

    Possibly. I can probably make this into a separate patch. Once I
    have everything done, it'll probably be a week or so before I can
    clean it up to a final state. I probably can separate out the
    translator cleanup from the outer join support, but we'll have to see
    if that makes any sense.