Re: Taking over development of DataViews

From: Adrian Wiesmann (awiesman..omap.org)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2007 - 17:18:14 EDT

    Hello Andrus

    First of all, I can see your viewpoint and your concerns and I respect
    them. I would probably have the same in your position. Let me tell you
    that we now decided to create a separate library for the dataviews and
    leave the licence as it is. We plan to send all our changes back to the
    Cayenne project as diffs. It is then the Cayenne projects decision if you
    add our changes to the original or not.

    > I still have concerns about the code being forked, and then the diffs
    > contributed back. As a practical matter, you will be using your
    > version of code, so no testing of 'Cayenne DataViews' will occur,
    > leaving the framework in an indeterminate state.

    Let me say two things here (and I still am not intending to stand on
    anyones toes, although I may sound direct):

    First, the DataViews are not actively developed nor maintained at the
    moment. So speaking of a fork is probably wrong. We just take over the
    development in a different environment.

    And second, we don't see our copy as the official version but as work in
    progress. We create a copy so that we can move forward in our own pace. If
    somebody is interested to get a copy, fine with us. But we will not
    advertise our version.

    > Also after the
    > initial period of trust-building, I am sure you'll be able to develop
    > at your own pace, and there will be more of a community oversight,
    > rather than interference with the development process.

    I am sorry, but sending in our changes and then waiting for a new build is
    currently not an option. We have very limited resources and when one of us
    has time to develop, we need to move forward.

    We will see how our approach evolves. We currently need a tool where we
    can manage our development and changes and I don't expect commit access in
    your SVN. So look at it as if we would work on something like Debian. Our
    repository contains the unstable or testing version, the Cayenne
    repository will contain the stable source for the new dataview library.

    So if you agree in this, then please extract everything DataView from the
    bleeding edge of Cayenne. We will then start from your newly created
    DataView library. Otherwise we will extract the source on our own and
    start the development with a new namespace to not run into conflicts.

    Regards,
    Adrian