Re: Google Analytics

From: Ahmed Mohombe (amohomb..ahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2007 - 03:36:54 EDT

    >> There are many good weblog analyzers that don't require to "give away
    >> your data", so I don't get why are you so keen on selling yourself to
    >> Google.
    >
    > I know of webalizer (and I used it on ObjectStyle).
    Webalizer is pretty primitive and "old style". AWStats falls in the same category
    but it's more polished and not abandonware.
    http://awstats.sourceforge.net/
    A comparison with other very similar tools:
    http://awstats.sourceforge.net/docs/awstats_compare.html
    AWStats does a pretty good job and it's more than enough for most common use cases.

    > Anything else worth
    > checking?
    The only free Java based web analyzer that is very easy to integrate into existing webapplications
    (e.g. for admin/provider view) is Polliwog:
    http://polliwog.sourceforge.net/
    http://polliwog.sourceforge.net/livedemo/Dec-05/index.html.gz

    Deciding upon a weblog tool/framework depends allot on what you are trying to achieve, thus one
    tool might be better than the other.
    Many of the commercial tools also have free license for open source projects (e.g. same like JIRA),
    but many of these tools are more "data mining" oriented and better suited for marketing purposes.

    Ahmed.