Re: Google Analytics

From: Ahmed Mohombe (amohomb..ahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2007 - 04:26:28 EDT

    >> I know of webalizer (and I used it on ObjectStyle). Anything else
    >> worth checking?
    >
    > Providing web hosting to a range of customers now for the last 10 years,
    > I've tried most everything. Nothing comes even close to the Google tool.
    That's simply not true :). Depending on what you want to achieve (and what's important
    in the case of an open source project) there are various tools better suited for the various tasks.

    > I too am very protective of my privacy. But what do we think Google is
    > going to do with all these IP addresses?
    >
    > Here is their privacy policy: http://www.google.com/privacypolicy.html
    Yeah right :). AOL and others also had privacy policy but user data leak still happened :).
    And it's not just about the IP address, but because their services are almost in every page
    it's almost like a "live session" upon everything users do: so it's the "connection" of that
    information that is problematic, not the list of IP addresses.

    Common sense, logic and a little bit of history tells a totally different story than the current
    hype and zealotry :).

    > Ahmed, I assume this means you don't use Google for searching in order
    > to avoid having your IP logged by them - I am curious what search engine
    > you use.
    I'm using more than one search engine, and as I said, it's not just about the IP address.
    Personally I don't like monopoly (of any kind).

    Ahmed.