Re: Abstract Entities [Was: Modelling improvements: inheritance + interfacing (Draft)]

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2007 - 22:23:50 EDT

    On 31/05/2007, at 11:54 AM, Lachlan Deck wrote:

    > On 31/05/2007, at 10:44 AM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:
    >
    >> On 5/30/07, Aristedes Maniatis <ar..aniatis.org> wrote:
    >>> When we get to vertical inheritance there will be at least one other
    >>> property added to the ObjEntity: the name of the relationship
    >>> used to
    >>> find the superclass.
    >>
    >> When we get to inheritance, we'd be wise to follow the JPA
    >> methodology
    >> for specifying inheritance relationships. Vertical and single-table
    >> is well-defined.
    >
    > <...>
    > Okay, so consider the request for superRelationship dropped. (See
    > disclaimer :-) Well that makes it simpler to do all of this ;-)

    Hang on... Hibernate, for example, does indeed utilise a
    relationship, to my understanding [1], that specifies the nature of
    the relationship to the parent, what happens when an object is
    deleted and so on. These are characteristics that are encapsulated in
    a relationship. This is why the request for defining a
    superRelationship in ObjEntity was first made. Perhaps it's an
    optional for vertical where in its absence is some implicit strategy.

    Thoughts?

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck