Re: M1 documentation effort heads up

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2007 - 03:53:18 EDT

    On Jul 6, 2007, at 4:44 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

    > Can Cayenne Classic Guide just be named "Cayenne Guide"? I think
    > the classic name makes it sound old and deprecated where it is
    > actually the most full featured way of using Cayenne.

    You are right. But we still need to make a clear distinction between
    two types of API's that Cayenne provides. "Classic vs. JPA" was self
    explanatory to the existing users (not sure if it is to the new
    users?). I guess we can call "classic" simply Cayenne API (vs. JPA
    API provided by Cayenne). The distinction becomes a bit fuzzier, but
    is still probably OK.

    > And would Cayenne ROP be clearer as "Cayenne Client"? Or do you
    > think that ROP is a well known term?

    The ROP name was a product of a discussion some time ago:

        http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/lists/cayenne-devel/2005/11/0024.html

    I'd like to have a shorter definition than "Remote Object
    Persistence", but I still feel like "Client" is not reflecting the
    meaning of this technology.

    > I still like the idea of (in the future) having only one guide and
    > continuing to maintain it rather than forking the guide for every
    > release. That way documentation improvements are useful and
    > accessible to users of all versions. We'd just need to clearly mark
    > pages or sections with "introduced in 3.0".

    IIRC we tried it in the past. The problem is mostly the slight
    conceptual shift across the versions, i.e. we do not simply introduce
    *new* things, we also factor out old stuff ... or start calling it a
    different name. E.g. I'd like to emphasize ObjectContext interface
    some more now, as opposed to its concrete (and still most common)
    implementation DataContext. To a 1.1 user this would make no sense.
    So while we should fork as rarely as possible, I don't think it is
    realistic to avoid it all together.

    > Let us know if there is anything we can do to help with your
    > documentation work.

    Here is an incomplete list of topics off the top of my head (we do
    not necessarily need to finish all of them for M1) :

    * Fill in missing information on "What's new" page
    * New caching features
    * ObjectContext interface
    * Logging (removal of log4j)
    * Cayenne agent and POJO's
    * JPA tutorial

    If you want to grab any of those, please send a note to the list.

    > Also, I noticed that Confluence has now (in an unreleased beta
    > version) got ordered child pages. No more alphabetic listing of
    > children. That will be very helpful to us when Apache gets that
    > release installed.

    And that's one day after I fixed the ordering in the docs export
    plugin! :-)

    https://issues.apache.org/cayenne/browse/CAY-822

    Andrus