Re: M1 documentation effort heads up

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..aniatis.org)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2007 - 21:44:59 EDT

    > I set out to write some 3.0 docs, so commit list subscribers will
    > see a bunch of Confluence notifications. My plan is to restructure
    > the docs along the lines of "Cayenne Classic", "Cayenne ROP" and
    > "Cayenne JPA". So I started by moving the pieces common to all of
    > them up one level [1], and will probably rename the "User Guide" to
    > "Cayenne Classic Guide" next.
    >
    > Andrus
    >

    > [1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CAYDOC/Documentation

    Can Cayenne Classic Guide just be named "Cayenne Guide"? I think the
    classic name makes it sound old and deprecated where it is actually
    the most full featured way of using Cayenne. And would Cayenne ROP be
    clearer as "Cayenne Client"? Or do you think that ROP is a well known
    term?

    I still like the idea of (in the future) having only one guide and
    continuing to maintain it rather than forking the guide for every
    release. That way documentation improvements are useful and
    accessible to users of all versions. We'd just need to clearly mark
    pages or sections with "introduced in 3.0".

    Let us know if there is anything we can do to help with your
    documentation work. Also, I noticed that Confluence has now (in an
    unreleased beta version) got ordered child pages. No more alphabetic
    listing of children. That will be very helpful to us when Apache gets
    that release installed.

    Ari

    Aristedes Maniatis
    phone +61 2 9660 9700
    PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2 A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8