Unbound Entity (ObjEntity without DBEntity)

From: Adrian Wiesmann (awiesman..omap.org)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2007 - 03:34:13 EDT

    Hello list

    I am having a question relating unbound ObjEntities. Probably this was
    already discussed before but I was not able to find much in the archives,
    so here goes my question.

    Is it possible to extend Cayenne in a manner so that I could model an
    ObjEntity which is not bound to a DBEntity? One of the usage scenarios is
    when I have a query frame where the user can enter some values which are
    then interpreted by the business logic (search frame to query a user table
    as example). The benefit of using unbound tables is that the UI already
    has a renderer which knows how to render/display an ObjEntity (if there is
    a corresponding DataView) and all the data binding to the Swing components
    would be available as well. That would be a huge time saver for the
    developer.

    Another scenario is when I have a report engine which knows how to render
    ObjEntities with DataViews. I could then create a dynamic ObjEntity which
    is not bound to a DB Entity but filled by my own code and which is then
    handed over to the report engine.

    Was such an extension discussed before? What are your thoughts on this?

    Regards,
    Adrian