Re: [CONFIRMED] Re: Maven again and again :( !

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..aniatis.org)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2007 - 06:09:45 EDT

    > That would also require us to switch from Maven to Ant (I am
    > already preparing for the cheering applause to this proposition ...
    > and having to defend an unpopular Maven build system, as I would
    > most likely end up being the person tasked with yet another
    > switch :-/)

    Absolutely I would not be encouraging this. I don't understand maven,
    but it does work (99% of the time) and I for one would prefer you
    spent your valuable time on more important things. (If it were my
    decision what you spent your time on.)

    > +1. I can offer objectstyle.org web server for that since we are
    > already using it for dependencies that haven't been officially
    > mavenized by their authors, and since hosting third party packages
    > on ASF infrastructure could be a bad idea.
    >
    > BTW, maybe we should raise a question of pros and cons of a non-
    > offical repo for ASF projects on the infra (or maybe maven?) list.
    > Could get some advice straight from the source.

    Not sure that it is necessarily a bad idea since there isn't a
    license or copyright issue with redistribution, as long as it doesn't
    appear that Apache endorses those libraries. And we might have some
    dedicated Cayenne space soon to use...

    If it does end up not on Apache.org for whatever reason I'm happy to
    help spread the load a bit with the three colo servers I have. Just
    let me know if this is helpful.

    Ari

    Aristedes Maniatis
    phone +61 2 9660 9700
    PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2 A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8