Re: Cleaning up inheritance tests

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2008 - 08:30:41 EDT

    On Mar 28, 2008, at 2:01 PM, Kevin Menard wrote:

    > I don't know about that one. While the overall mapping structure is
    > what
    > the user designed, in this case, the user explicitly removed (or never
    > added) the relationship to the base class. In that case, I'd argue
    > that the
    > use didn't want the relationship mapped. That was certainly the
    > case for
    > me.

    That's the main area of disagreement. Essentially you are saying that
    runtime relationships are harmful and not needed in Cayenne at all. My
    point is that they were introduced exactly to allow users to remove
    explicit relationships whenever they please (the original motivation
    for runtime relationships was to enable one-way to-many). In other
    words runtime relationships are there for a reason and should be
    considered an internal artifact of Cayenne and users shouldn't be
    bothered about their presence (as long as everything works as
    advertised).

    So we should separate cases where runtime relationships are the cause
    of the problem vs. cases where the problem is elsewhere.

    So regarding runtime relationships... Maybe we should write targeted
    unit tests to demonstrate delete rules and/or validation problems they
    may cause?

    Andrus