Re: Cleaning up inheritance tests

From: Kevin Menard (kmenar..ervprise.com)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2008 - 09:25:57 EDT

    On 3/28/08 8:30 AM, "Andrus Adamchik" <andru..bjectstyle.org> wrote:

    > That's the main area of disagreement. Essentially you are saying that
    > runtime relationships are harmful and not needed in Cayenne at all. My
    > point is that they were introduced exactly to allow users to remove
    > explicit relationships whenever they please (the original motivation
    > for runtime relationships was to enable one-way to-many). In other
    > words runtime relationships are there for a reason and should be
    > considered an internal artifact of Cayenne and users shouldn't be
    > bothered about their presence (as long as everything works as
    > advertised).

    Okay. I've always viewed them as just a way to not have to specify the
    other half of a mapped relationship. The fact that new ones were being
    created for relationships I never intended on using was news to me. Having
    said that, if I never ran into a problem, it was likely something I was
    never going to discover anyway.

    > So we should separate cases where runtime relationships are the cause
    > of the problem vs. cases where the problem is elsewhere.

    Agreed.

    > So regarding runtime relationships... Maybe we should write targeted
    > unit tests to demonstrate delete rules and/or validation problems they
    > may cause?

    I've not come across a case where delete rules weren't followed for both
    based and subclasses. That was actually what I thought was going wrong
    initially. Then I discovered it was just two different relationships where
    one was ignored and the delete rules were followed on the other.

    I suppose tests that verify that behavior wouldn't be a terrible idea
    though.

    --
    Kevin