maven improvements

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Sat Aug 09 2008 - 00:59:09 EDT

    On 08/08/2008, at 1:20 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    > I am not sure why you are seeing the old code, but here is one more
    > hint:
    >
    > $ rm -rf ~/.m2/repository/org/apache/cayenne/

    Yes, that's what ended up fixing the problem. That, plus cleaning out
    all the target folders one more time.

    > $ mvn -o -P mac clean install
    >

    > "-o" flag ensures a local build and prevents all repository
    > communication. You can try adding locally to build-mac.sh as well.

    Neat. I'll keep that one in mind.

    I think I have a clue about what was causing me grief in the build
    process: I had installed Q for Eclipse as the maven plugin since it
    appears to be blessed by Eclipse. But ultimately, it was conflicting
    with preferences left behind by the now uninstalled m2 Eclipse plugin
    and Eclipse building was breaking. Even though I was running maven on
    the command line like I always do, I think Eclipse was messing things
    up just by running in the background. I've returned to m2 Eclipse, the
    plugin is better and more functional, and weird building problems are
    not gone, but less bizarre.

    What I'm finding is that it is not always easy to see when a parent
    framework is going to be rebuilt, or how to build and run (say) the
    Mac build of the Cayenne modeler without creating an entire assembly
    and dmg. It has been suggested to me that the cayenne pom setup is a
    bit unusual. In a more regular setup, the top level pom should be:

    group: org.apache
    artifact: cayenne

    Then the level below should be:

    group: org.apache.cayenne
    artifact: frameworks

    and then

    group: org.apache.cayenne.frameworks
    artifact: cayenne-jdk1.5-unpublished

    Apparently if things are set up this way, it may make it easier for
    maven to find resources on the file system and perhaps the need to
    prime the build by mvn install at the top level might go away.

    I know ant well, but maven not much at all. Things that I'd find easy
    (like dependent build processes so all jars are build from current
    source) in ant I don't know how to achieve in maven. Would the above
    be an improvement?

    Ari Maniatis

    ish
    http://www.ish.com.au
    phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001