Re: Possible breakage

From: Kevin Menard (nirvdru..mail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2008 - 17:37:56 EDT

    I agree that such a flag would support backward compatibility. I'm a bit
    dubious about its value though. So, by default we ship "broken" behavior
    and expect the user to toggle a checkbox to do the correct thing? The use
    of schemas may have nothing to do with naming conflicts, as well. Moreover,
    PKs shouldn't be treated any differently than tables are, at least with
    regards to qualifications of naming.
    The level at which I'm talking doesn't have any effect on sequence-based PK
    generators, as far as I can tell. It would mostly affect AUTO_PK_SUPPORT,
    let DB-specific generators handle the finer details of working with
    sequences.

    Having said that, I do value backwards compatibility, so I'm not against
    100% against it. It just feels a bit dirty. I'd rather we do something
    like check the version of the datamap and let that determine the default
    value of the checkbox. Of course, even that raises problems with people
    that have been tracking the milestones . . .

    --
    Kevin