Git [Was: Re: Cayenne-trunk - Build # 239 - Failure]

From: Kevin Menard (nirvdru..mail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2008 - 18:12:03 EDT

    Well, as you know, I've been an advocate of distributed SCMs for some
    time now. I adopted git maybe three or four months ago and have been
    quite pleased. The availability of GitHub really made the switch
    worthwhile (versus other systems). It's great to be able to work
    within an SCM on a project that you don't have commit rights to --
    makes the patch submission much better. Being able to yank other
    people's patches into my own fork is pretty cool, as well.

    I've gotten into the habit of creating a new branch for just about
    anything I do. New feature, bug fix, etc. Master stays very stable
    in this regard. The ability to commit locally means I can work on a
    pet feature with all the wonders of an SCM and only push the final
    product when it's not a heaping mess.

    In any event, I've found it has really improved the quality of my
    projects and my throughput. I've migrated nearly all SVN projects I
    have control over to git.

    --
    Kevin

    On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andru..bjectstyle.org> wrote: > No, I am still learning the patterns. So I am keeping it close to SVN for > now and only syncing my local copy with the ASF repo. My main motivation for > checking it out was to be able to write code on the plane, but now I > certainly see many more possibilities of the dev workflow improvement. If > you have any insights on the later, I'd be happy to hear. > > Andrus > > > On Oct 14, 2008, at 8:05 PM, Kevin Menard wrote: > >> Did you set something up on say github? I'd be interested in forking if >> so. >> >> -- >> Kevin