Re: schema for map XML

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2008 - 08:28:46 EST

    Nice. I don't think it is complete to actually use it for the real map
    validation, but this is a great start. I guess the immediate value of
    it is documenting the format for manual editing.

    Now I am wondering where in the model lifecycle during development and
    runtime would it be appropriate/useful to do automated validation of
    the mapping? In other words where the benefit of validation would
    justify the overhead? The map semantical problems are rare, as most
    people are using the Modeler (that presumably generates a correct
    mapping). So I can only think of cases that would help us internally,
    but will not affect the end users:

    * Validation as a part of map-saving unit tests
    * Switching from manual XML parser to an auto-generated parser based
    on schema (such as JAXB; although I decided against JAXB some time
    ago, as it would add yet another hard dependency to Cayenne, and will
    require a rewrite of a piece of Cayenne that already works well. So I
    am just using it as an example).

    Other ideas?

    Andrus