CM Inheritance tree view , entity cross-linking

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Thu Feb 04 2010 - 07:01:32 EST

    Just had to debug a fairly large model that I am not intimately
    familiar with, that used inheritance (entity inheritance as well as
    multiple custom superclasses) and it was rather hard to understand the
    overall structure.

    Wonder if we should create an alternative tree view that presents
    entities organized by their inheritance (similar to Eclipse
    "hierarchy" view)? Switching between the default and inheritance view
    can be done via tabs or toolbar buttons. Non-persistent superclasses
    can still be shown as disabled class nodes.

    Another idea is to allow quick movement between DbEntities and
    ObjEntities. This can be achieved by providing extra links (maybe via
    right click? or an extra icon next to the main tree icon). This is
    applicable to both Default and Inheritance views.

    The tree structure for the inheritance view can look like this
    (ObjEntities are in mixed case, DbEntities - in uppercase, non-entity
    superclasses are in <>) :

    datamap
        <CayenneDataObject>
           Artist (ARTIST)
           Painting (PAINTING)
           Person (PERSON)
              Manager (PERSON)
        <CustomSuperclass1>
           MyEntity1 (MYENTITY1)
        ARTIST (Artist)
        PAINTING (Painting)
        PERSON (Person, Manager)
        MYENTITY1 (MyEntity1)

    Should help in quick navigation and structure visualization...

    Andrus