Re: wiki pages design

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..aniatis.org)
Date: Wed Feb 17 2010 - 06:17:07 EST

    On 17/02/10 9:29 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    > * Authoring process (do we have to edit XML by hand?)

    That's one way (and for developers not rocket science since the xml is fairly simple). I looked long and hard for the easiest to use tool for our technical writer here (who isn't particularly a developer) and the one I settled on was Oxygen Author. Not free. There are some free tools as well, but not as wysiwyg. I never tried OpenOffice.

    > * Maven support

    Should be easy I think. At the worst, maven can call ant scripts. I'm happy to donate ant scripts I've written, but there isn't much too them.

    > * I assume the same doc source can be published as HTML on the web, and
    > as PDF for the release. What does it take to wrap HTML in our site
    > template? A Velocity template I guess?

    That's the really beautiful part. I personally like XSLT, but there are a few ways to get the output. We also set up PDF output with minimal effort.

    In short:

    * authoring tools for docbook are poor to middling, but Confluence is hardly perfect
    * flexibility of output is great
    * commit the whole thing into svn (branching and everything else that entails) is brilliant
    * moving everything across is lots and lots of work, especially getting all the links to still link and tying in all the screenshots

    Ari Maniatis

    --
    Aristedes Maniatis