Vertical inheritance

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..mail.com)
Date: Tue May 18 2010 - 22:19:53 UTC

    Andrus,

    In the horizontal inheritance jira issue, you mentioned the following:
    =================
    Unfortunately we dropped the ball on horizontal inheritance in 3.0 due
    to the lack of time by people who could make it happen (the
    implementation is rather deep and involved). I very much like to
    revive this effort in 3.1 beyond a few Modeler patches that we have in
    place so far. It is in my queue right after the new DI stuff.

    The primary JSF/JPA team project I have been working on is now
    considering switching to Cayenne and dropping JPA. One of the
    concerns is vertical inheritance support. Any thoughts on how long
    it might take and how much effort is involved before vertical
    inheritance is a first-class citizen? If we switch, it is likely
    that I will be able to contribute toward this effort -- it was hard to
    find time to work on Cayenne when I wasn't doing any paid projects
    involving Cayenne.