[Logging] Was: Query and the cache

From: Andrus (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 23:55:57 EDT

    Hi JR,

    >Will the update to use log4j fallback to Java logging if log4j can't be
    >found? Is log4j required with the new build? Will log4j be distributed with
    >Cayenne?

    Log4J is distributed with new Cayenne, so it is required and there is no
    fallback (of course there is also cayenne-nodeps.jar that doesn't have it).
    Old methods that used Java logging are marked as "deprecated" and
    internally convert to log4j.

    Also if you are planning to update, wait till tomorrow. I just fixed a few
    nasty bugs that will only go in tonight.

    >It would be nice if Cayenne provided a wrapper around the logging
    >mechanism. The user could then choose to use log4j, Java logging or
    >implement their own logging.

    There are already a few such "wrappers". For instance, Jakarta
    commons-logging. We couldn't use it in Cayenne at the moment, since Cayenne
    API passes "Level" objects as method parameters, and those are missing from
    "commons". I guess one way would be to remove this API and fully
    externalize logs configuration. But I wouldn't worry about it too much at
    the moment. Maybe later.

    Andrus