Re: Re: large data loads - best practices ?

From: Arndt Brenschede (Arndt.Brensched..eb.de)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 03:04:07 EDT

    andru..bjectstyle.org schrieb am 24.04.03 21:25:53:

    > BTW, Arndt, who is using Cayenne for batch processing of huge volumes of
    > data, is currently working on an example application that will be included
    > in the future releases of Cayenne. He will be showing exactly that - how
    > to keep memory usage at bay, no matter how many rows you have to read
    > through.

    actually, what I'm using for high volume offline batch
    is something in between the 2 extremes
    (throwing away the whole context versus
    using "unregisterObject" on single objects)

    I use the 2 methods recently introduced in
    ObjectStore:

    - startTrackingNewObjects
    - unregisterNewObjects

    ("unregisterNewObjects" just calls
    "unregisterObject" on every Object
    registered to the objectstore after
    the call to "startTrackingNewObject")

    That enables you to keep any "master data"
    in memory while flushing the "volume data"
    for each "commit-batch".

    If you want that separation in master- and
    volume-data, it requires some deeper
    understanding of the constraints for the
    relationship between both that are currently
    documented nowhere (that's the essence
    of the example I'm preparing).
    But the bottomline is that you cannot
    have a relationship that is navigable
    from the master data to the volume-data.

    regards,

    Arndt

    PS: the other half of the story about offline
    batch processing is about prefetching batches,
    where you might want to have a look in
    ...access.util.PrefetchHelper. But this is only
    about performance, not memory-housekeeping

    UNICEF bittet um Spenden für die Kinder im Irak! Hier online an
    UNICEF spenden: https://spenden.web.de/unicef/special/?mc=021101