Re: [BUG] ORACLE sequence numbers not incrementing....

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 16:05:37 EDT

    Andrus Adamchik <andru..bjectstyle.org> wrote:
    > I don't agree. This is not a bug by any definition. Cayenne PK
    > generation mechanism is not tied to sequences, this is just how it is
    > implemented for Oracle and DB2. Other adapters use different approach.
    > So any terminology that Oracle might be using for they stuff has
    > nothing to do with Cayenne. From Cayenne perspective cache size is
    > exactly what it is - the number of PKs that can be assigned to a given
    > entity without a trip to database.
    >
    > Also the part with customizing cache size and mechanism will likely be
    > reworked in 1.1 to make it more flexible. As a part of this effort I
    > was thinking about changing the Modeler labels depending on the target
    > mechanism, instead of using generic Cayenne terminology for all of
    > them. This is where your comments would apply.

    When the cayenne documentation states it only supports sequences for Oracle,
    it's only natural to think that the seven phrases used by Oracle to describe
    sequences (INCREMENT BY, STARTS WITH, MINVALUE, MAXVALUE, CYCLE, CACHE SIZE,
    ORDER) mean the same thing when Cayenne talks about sequences.

    Can we update the documentation to make it less confusing? Maybe point out
    that "cache size" means something different if you're talking about an
    "Oracle sequence" than if you're talking about a "Cayenne representation of
    a Oracle sequence"?

    And change the default Oracle values to the same defaults values that Oracle
    uses?

    -Mike