Re: [BUG] ORACLE sequence numbers not incrementing....

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 16:21:47 EDT

    Mike,

    On Thursday, September 11, 2003, at 04:05 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:
    > When the cayenne documentation states it only supports sequences for
    > Oracle,
    > it's only natural to think that the seven phrases used by Oracle to
    > describe
    > sequences (INCREMENT BY, STARTS WITH, MINVALUE, MAXVALUE, CYCLE, CACHE
    > SIZE,
    > ORDER) mean the same thing when Cayenne talks about sequences.
    >
    > Can we update the documentation to make it less confusing? Maybe
    > point out
    > that "cache size" means something different if you're talking about an
    > "Oracle sequence" than if you're talking about a "Cayenne
    > representation of
    > a Oracle sequence"?

    What documentation are you referring to? Oracle PK generator JavaDoc
    for instance explains the difference between Oracle terms and Cayenne:

    http://www.objectstyle.org/cayenne/api/cayenne/org/objectstyle/cayenne/
    dba/oracle/OraclePkGenerator.html

    If you have something else in mind, you are free to write and submit
    these docs. I would've said "send a patch", but with current state of
    affairs with anonymous CVS this is rather hard. Still you can do a
    local diff against "virgin" nightly build.

    > And change the default Oracle values to the same defaults values that
    > Oracle
    > uses?

    The whole point of having cache size in Cayenne is that it is > 1. This
    is all about performance, e.g.:

         http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/lists/cayenne-user/2003/08/0033.html

    Andrus