Re: DataContexts, sessions, and sharing data

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 17:18:18 EST

    On Feb 11, 2004, at 5:00 PM, Jim Menard wrote:

    > Andriy,
    >
    >> I think you could achieve acceptable results even with Cayenne 1.0
    >> refreshing the data cached in users' data contexts from the database,
    >> say,
    >> every couple of minutes or so (depends on average amounts of data to
    >> invalidate). This will ensure the users see the reasonably fresh data
    >> and,
    >> at the same time, won't build up the high pressure on your JDBC
    >> connection
    >> and JVM. Sharing a context among sessions is quite dangerous.
    >
    > Yeah, but my users want to see their pretty pictures NOW! :-)
    >
    > Seriously, that's a good suggestion. If moving to 1.1 is too risky,
    > perhaps I'll take that approach.
    >
    > Jim

    I agree with Andriy - staying on 1.0.6 and refreshing a small subset of
    records manually will probably be the best solution in this situation.

    As for the risks involved with 1.1, those are the general things you
    would expect. The framework that a few serious changes to the access
    stack that hasn't yet been tried in action in dozens of high volume
    applications, like 1.0. So basically we don't know if it will crash and
    burn (or maybe it won't), until it gains some acceptance and
    development testing on real projects.

     From the technical standpoint, 1.1 does not require any DB upgrades,
    however mapping project will have to be upgraded using the Modeler
    (conversion back from 1.1 to 1.0 is possible and quiet easy, however
    this is a manual process).

    Andrus