Newbie questions

From: Todd O'Bryan (toddobrya..ac.com)
Date: Sat Apr 03 2004 - 23:07:43 EST

    Just found Cayenne today, and I must say I'm very impressed. As someone
    who may find his way to WebObjects at some point, I guess I should make
    myself comfortable. I've spent some quality annoyed time with Hibernate
    and I must say the modeler makes me feel like I'm getting a lot
    accomplished even if I really haven't done anything useful yet.

    A couple of questions:

    1. Is there an Eclipse plugin for Cayenne, yet? If not, how do you use
    Cayenne with Eclipse. Can you just set the directory for code
    generation/xml files to be saved into as the src folder in an Eclipse
    project and then Refresh in Eclipse when you make changes, or is there
    some subtlety involved?

    2. Is there any convenient way to deal with ENUM types, or do I have to
    keep track of them myself?

    3. Is there a direct equivalent of the MySQL type TEXT? What should I
    use instead?

    3. Am I correct in my current understanding of relationships which is
    as follows: a relationship connects one field of one table to a field
    of another table. You have to specify an attribute of one table to hold
    an attribute value (probably a PK value) of another table. Then you
    additionally have to specify that said attribute represents a
    relationship. Is that right? I kept assuming that if I specified a
    relationship the tool should be smart enough to stick in any extra
    fields needed to effect the relationship for me, but I'm sensing that's
    not right...

    Anyway, thanks for what looks to be a terrific tool. I teach high
    school math and programming, so I don't get to spend a lot of time
    programming, and when I do I want to feel like I'm accomplishing
    something, not just spinning my wheels. Cayenne gave me that feeling,
    since I could tell it to modify my database and then open it right up
    from the command line to see if the changes took. Also, the fact that
    it correctly connected made me feel better about the possibility that
    it might in my code as well...

    Thanks,
    Todd