Re: New data model creation

From: Jonathan Carlson (Jonathan.Carlso..atun.com)
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 15:56:36 EDT

    Thanks for your tips and encouragement. I hadn't thought of changing db attributes via the XML file. If I want to add an index to a dbAttribute, do I need to do it manually through SQL? It appears that way, but I just wanted to verify that.

    The "Sync ObjEntity with DbEntity" feature is a real lifesaver (OK, I'm exaggerating a little, but it really saves a lot of tedious typing).

    Thanks again,

    Jonathan

    >>> "Jürgen Saar" <jsaa..eb.de> 2004-07-14 2:42:26 PM >>>
    And a little tipp:

    If you have to rename a dbattribute:
    Don't try to do it with the modeler, do it with a text editor within the xml-file!

    > Jonathan,
    >
    > I'd suggest sticking with the modeler a bit longer. Once you get over > some of the quirky things (with Swing apps in general) you'll find that > it's a very productive modeling tool.
    >
    > General rule of thumb when starting from scratch....
    >
    > 1) Create all your DbEntities
    > - define all your DbAttributes (what you want your column names to be)
    > - define what DbAttributes are mandatory (little checkboxes)
    > - define which column(s) make up your primary key (little checkboxes)
    > 2) Create all your DbRelationships
    > - map your DbEntities together (create reverse relationships)
    > 3) Create all matching ObjEntities for each DbEntity
    > - add and map ObjAttributes to corresponding DbAttributes
    >
    > Also check out "Sync ObjEntity with DbEntity" feature under the
    > "Project". It will help you avoid a lot of the stuff you'd normally
    > have to do in step three.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Eric

    Aufnehmen, abschicken, nah sein - So einfach ist
    WEB.DE Video-Mail: http://freemail.web.de/?mc=021200

    the system manager.

    Katun Corporation -- Celebrating 25 Years of Service
    www.katun.com