Re: Reading Cayenne configuration from custom streams.

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 20:54:41 EST

    Marek Wawrzyczny <mare..sh.com.au> wrote:
    > We have just come across an unusual need. We are investigating the
    > sending of the Cayenne configuration through a network, say using Sun's
    > RMI... as far as I can see this is currently not possible unless I am
    > mistaking. Is this functionality something that people would/could find
    > useful in the framework?
    >
    > This would allow us to have a server in a two tier system which sends
    > things like JDBC information, database structure, etc, dynamically to
    > the client, upon a successful authentication.

    Sure, it's possible to extend Cayenne to do this.

    You can extend DefaultConfiguration to read config files from another
    source.

    You can create your own DataSourceFactory implementation as well, although
    you might be able to use one of the standard methods (config file or JNDI)
    to avoid that.

    I'm sure it'd be useful. If nothing else, we've talked about having a
    Contrib section for limited-utility things like my own
    OracleApplicationServerXMLDataSourceFactory, and what you're doing sounds
    more useful to the general population than that :)

    -Mike