Re: DataContext XML serialization

From: Pepe Perez (pepepere..america.com)
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 03:11:16 EST

    Hi,

    > First a few question - Is client going to use its own implementation of
    > WebRowSet interface and just read the incoming standard XML? Could you
    > elaborate on the client architecture, in particular how the initial query
    > to obtain a RowSet is done?

    Well, I said WebRowSet to avoid to explain the real client arquitecture
    which is a javascript client communicating with the server through SOAP
    or XML-RPC. The important thing is to send a modifible format for the
    client to parse and change. [For the curious the client is www.bindows.net]
    The initial query (and all of the others) will be through SOAP or XML-RPC,
    so there is a java part in the server that can host the Cayenne thing.

    > Now a few notes.... RowSet is a tabular abstraction of data. ORM is a tree
    > (or rather a graph) of objects. So transfering a full DataContext to the
    > client just to have a single table of values maybe an overkill (now if you
    > can change the requirements and forget about WebRowSet and just use
    > Cayenne on the client, that's another story...). WebRowSet is better
    > represented in Cayenne as a DataRow query -
    > http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/userguide/perform/data-rows.html - than a
    > full-blown DataContext. Looks like that's what you'll have to serialize
    > and pass around. This can be done with some sort of adapter to a
    > server-side DataContext. If you want to write such adapter, please keep us
    > posted on the progress (maybe on cayene-devel list)...

    Thanks for the DataRow heads-up, I an a newbie so I have only read a little
    bit of documentation. I agree that there is no way of accomodating a tree of
    objects in a RowSet but the thing here is to send that tree in some form to
    the client that (depending on its capabilities) will use it in a way or another.
    For example, Bindows accepts Microsoft .net DataSets which are "mini-databases"
    complete with their relationships and restrictions. I'm sure that the Cayenne
    tree of objects could be transported on top of the .net DataSet in XML form.

    Regards,

    Pepe.