Cayenne + Apache Axis (Web Services)

From: James A. Hillyerd (jame..illyerd.com)
Date: Wed Dec 22 2004 - 19:36:28 EST

    (Sorry if this is off-topic, but I figure I'm more likely to find people
    on this using Axis then people on the Axis list using Cayenne)

    I'm presently learning how to build web services using Apache Axis. I'm
    using Cayenne to store the data model, but I am running into some problems.

    I'm using Axis' automatic bean mapping feature to serialize my model
    objects into XML. A standard DataObject implementation has a ton of
    accessors that I don't want exported to the client. I was hoping I
    could create an interface for each of my data objects to implement that
    would only expose the accessor methods I want to publish. Unfortunately
    Axis refuses to work with an interface as a bean, because it doesn't
    have a default constructor.

    The only other solution I can think of is to write a wrapper class for
    each data object that delegates calls to a real DataObject instance. Is
    this my only option? I know that Axis lets you write your own bean
    serializers, but I haven't looked into those yet.

    Suggestions?

    Thanks.

    -james

    --