Re: NEWBIE: cayenne.xml

From: Koen Segers (KoenSeger..carlet.be)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2005 - 06:36:13 EST

    I will explain my situation:

    I'm a student at the University of Antwerp. We are making a webproject with
    lessons a student can follow. Compiler support for computer languages must
    also be available. We had allready part of it working. But the problem is we
    can't unittest. It is necessary!

    So we need to redesign our classes. It seemed that these classes were just the
    classes of our db. So I searched for a ORM. 2 Candidates : Cayenne and
    Hibernate. I tried Cayenne after reading a few posts on other mailing lists.

    What I did:
    downloaded cayenne.
    setted my CAYENNE_HOME to the directory where I installed it.
    ran modeler.sh
    created new datanode and filled in all the fields.
    reengineered database schema
    generated classes and saved them in my src folder of eclipse.
    saved the files(cayenne.xml, driver.xml and map.xml) in the src folder of
    eclipse.
    added cayenne-nodeps.jar to eclipse (by using insert external jar)
    copied the cayenne-nodeps.jar to my tomcat/shared/lib directory.
    checked the orcabol_koen.xml in tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost:
     <Context path="/koen" docBase="/home/koen/workspace/orcabol/context"
    reloadable="true"/>

    Changed few files in eclipse:
    Inserted this in Visit.java:
    private DataContext dataContext;
    public DataContext getDataContext() {
     if (dataContext == null) {
      dataContext = DataContext.createDataContext();
     }
     return dataContext;
    }

    Changed my Login.java so that it works with cayenne (will become a method in
    users.java, but here the login was before)
      String loginmessage="";
      Visit visit = (Visit)getVisit();
      DataContext context = visit.getDataContext();

      Expression qualifier = Expression.fromString("name equals "+getUserName()+"
    and password equals "+ getPassword());
      SelectQuery query = new SelectQuery(Users.class, qualifier);
      List users = context.performQuery(query);

      if (users.size()==1){
       Users user = (Users)users.get(0);
       visit.setUserID(4);
       loginmessage+="You are authorized.<br>";
       loginmessage+="Your id is " + visit.getUserID()+"<br>";
       loginmessage+="Your authentication level is " + user.getAuthlevel();
       //global.log(ID, "succesfully logged in");
      }
      else{
       loginmessage="You are not authorised";
      }
      visit.setMessage("Welcome "+UserName+",<br>"+loginmessage);
      cycle.activate("Message");

    Eclipse doesn't give any error messages (except a test that doesn't work
    anymore)

    That's all I did.
    Maybe I forgot something?

    Plz help ...

    If it doesn't work for today I need to look to Hibernate...
    Although I believe the fault is really simple...

    Greetz and thx for the replies !

    --

    Koen Segers

    <koenseger..carlet.be> <http://eddyvite.dyndns.org>