Re: Synchronization/Deadlock

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2005 - 09:47:51 EST

    > What I noticed on my server was that an outside connection to another
    > webserver (IIS...) would sometimes hang and never return, thus
    > preventing one of the database connections from being used.

    Unlike umm...some other frameworks, Cayenne does not require an open
    connection for the duration of the web request. So if something else
    (other than a query or a commit) in your request hangs the request thread,
    underlying conection pool is not affected.

    > I have
    > since modified to code to support socket timeouts. In case anyone is
    > wondering, the URL.open() doesn't support timeouts and you're better off
    > writing your own http connections using a plain Socket class.

    Or you can use HttpClient from Apache -
    http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/

    Andrus