Corrupt object graphs

From: Cris Daniluk (cris.danilu..laraview.com)
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 11:39:39 EST

    We've recently deployed one of our Cayenne applications to production, where
    it is taking approximately 20k hits per day in a JDK1.4/Tomcat 5.0
    environment. This is fairly light load, but it is a highly data driven
    application.

    We've had two or three occasions now where users have had objects that are
    cached in their session scope "change" or receive connections to new objects
    that they did not previously have access to. This is led to harmless
    escalation of privileges (seeing other people's information in a list view,
    but not being able to open it for manipulation).

    Our object graphs are quite large due to the scope of data, and so its not
    unreasonable that at any time we have several hundred thousand objects
    floating across all user sessions. While I have not linked Cayenne to the
    problem, I'm wondering if its ever been tested with this many objects. I
    noticed that the default object limit was fairly low, and in fact we had to
    increase it because certain queries were having their prefetches lost,
    triggering 1-at-a-time reloads of massive amounts of data (it is common for
    us to have a query that yields 30k results, not including prefetches).

    Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this?

    Thanks,

    Cris