Re: [OS-JIRA] Created: (CAY-307) Error connection Time out, when expired session in DB (Oracle 8.1.7.4)

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 15:42:30 EDT

    jira-norepl..bjectstyle.org wrote:
    > Reporter: Diego Iņigo wrote,
    > In the DataBase (Oracle 8.1.7.4), the timeout (expired) is the 20 minutes.

    > When inactivity time is more than 20 minutes in aplication web (session
    time is 40 minutes), the pool connection of cayenne, canīt reconnect to the
    database and drop exception (Error connection Time out ...)
    > Please tell me, How to generate the reconnection to the DataBase, or if
    exist the other solution for this problem.

    > I wait for your response, thank

    There's a couple of things you could do.

    One would be to submit a patch to change
    org.objectstyle.cayenne.conn.PoolManager to handle that particular exception
    condition better by reconnecting. Just attach it to CAY-307.

    Another would be to use a different connection pool class to handle your
    connection pool.
    For instance, you might try using
    oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleConnectionCacheImpl, which is included in the Oracle
    driver jar file as it should already handle oracle-specific errors. You
    could also look at http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp/ as another
    alternative, although I've never used it -- I use PoolManager for local
    development and OracleConnectionCacheImpl in production.

    If you decide to use an alternate connection pool, let us know and we'll
    close the issue.

    Thanks,

    -Mike