Re: Need help with removing some object

From: Dhruti Ramani (dhrutiraman..ahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 06 2005 - 18:18:24 EDT

    Thanks both of you. I think I have to use what Andrus have suggested because I have to use two relations so DeleteQuery won't work for me.

    Thanks,
    Denna

    Andrus Adamchik <andru..bjectstyle.org> wrote:
    > The only difference is that you use a DeleteQuery instead of a
    > SelectQuery object.

    Another difference is that you won't be able to use joins for a
    complex condition.

    And more important difference is that if you have this object already
    in memory (whether you know about it or not), it'll end up in
    inconsistent state. So whenever you modify a database directly keep
    this in mind and avoid direct modifications unless you have a good
    reason to do so.

    Andrus

    On Jun 6, 2005, at 4:16 PM, McDaniel, Joe wrote:
    > You can delete a record in exactly the same way you select it. The
    > only difference is that you use a DeleteQuery instead of a
    > SelectQuery object.
    >
    > DeleteQuery dq = new DeletQuery(x.class);
    > dq.setQualifier(...);
    > // more qualifiers if needed
    > context.performNonSelectingQuery(dq);
    >
    > Joe
    >

    > On 6/6/05 4:11 PM, "Dhruti Ramani" wrote:
    >

    >> Thanks, I have read about that. Thats what I was trying to do. I
    >> was trying to get object from database and then use deleteObject
    >> method. But my query depends on two tables and I dont know how to
    >> get hold of particular object. If I use SQLTemplate it return
    >> results in turms of Map, but I need to get Object to delete it.
    >>
    >> Is there any other way to do this?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Denna
    >> Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    >>> Denna,
    >>>
    >>> You better avoid deleting data from DB directly. You may end up with
    >>> an inconsistent object graph ... and generally if you work in the
    >>> ORM
    >>> object space, why bother with SQL.
    >>>
    >>> So just get a hold of an object in question and then do:
    >>>
    >>> dataContext.deleteObject(object);
    >>> dataContext.commitChanges()
    >>>
    >>> Andrus

    >> Discover Yahoo!
    >> Have fun online with music videos, cool games, IM more. Check it
    >> out! >> online.html>

    Discover Yahoo!