Re: Using other DataDomains in an application

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sat Jun 18 2005 - 14:02:40 EDT

    Hi Todd,

    On Jun 18, 2005, at 11:55 AM, Todd O'Bryan wrote:
    > I'm creating a small Swing-based server/client application that is
    > relatively self-contained. However, it will require a login and I'd
    > like to use the login mechanisms I already wrote for a much larger
    > web application that is running on the same server.
    >
    > Is there an easy way to include just the stuff I want from the
    > other database (basically just the User object) without including
    > all the other classes and datamaps and extraneous stuff I don't
    > need? If not, am I better off just writing vanilla JDBC to grab the
    > little bit I need to do login or is there some other way to deal
    > with this problem?

    You'll have to split all your reusable entities in a separate DataMap
    and then package *.map.xml and all related DataObject classes in a
    single JAR and use as you would use any other library.

    The only caveat is that you shouldn't include cayenne.xml in this
    jar. Instead you may need to manually tweak cayenne.xml of each
    individual application to add this extra DataMap to the default domain.

    > BTW, is this the kind of stuff that nested data domains will handle
    > (I've not paid much attention to what exactly nested data domains
    > are.) or is there something else that will make modularization
    > easier so I can grab just what I need from various databases on the
    > server?

    You can have multiple DataDomains, but they are not nested... They
    are "peers", each defining its own entity namespace and DataSources.
    Probably not very helpful in your case.

    Andrus