Re: cgen, "incremental database updates", etc.

From: Jürgen Saar (jsaa..eb.de)
Date: Thu Jul 21 2005 - 07:54:55 EDT

    To avoid part of those problems, we decided to automate only
    one kind of structur changes:
      Adding missing columns and tables.

    So after this process we can be sure that nothing in database structure
    is missing. (There maybe unused structure elements)

    After this, possibly neccesary helper programs do their work
    to convert data and add missing informations.
    (This is started by hand and after a backup)

    Then there is a last option:
    There is a helper programm that drops all columns and tables
    that are not part of the actual repository.
    This maybe very critical and is normaly done after piloting
    but rarely on normal productive installations

    I think the first part could sometime be done by cayenne