Re: Question Concerning XML - Was: M5 is out

From: Adrian Wiesmann (awiesman..omap.org)
Date: Sat Jul 23 2005 - 16:17:03 EDT

    > Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a look into this. My first
    > thought is that there was some reason for doing this, but my second
    > thought is that it's not very consistent and that that's probably not
    > the way it should be done. I plan on writing up a Confluence post on
    > how to use everything, which should help clarify some of this.

    I look forward to this, thanks. May I add then some thoughts to the
    XMLDecoder as well?

    I am currently redoing my backup/restore import/export functionality with
    Cayenne. I first started writing and reading my XML format myself and then
    thought it would be a good idea to move that to the XML functionality
    built into Cayenne. Doing the transition I noticed 2 things:

    - Having a property/field in a CayenneDataObject which is null results in
    a crash within the XMLEncoder. Don't know if this is intended (probably
    not).

    - Since I am writing multiple Lists into one single XML, there is no easy
    method with the current XMLDecoder to read that back. While I have noticed
    some private functions accepting Nodes (decodeCollection, decodeElement),
    there is no public function for that. Currently the XMLDecoder only
    accepts a Reader. Which is a little bit of a problem when trying to decode
    a single Node only :)

    I'd be willing to help out with testing/implementing some new version but
    guess we then better move to private emails...

    Regards,
    Adrian