Using a custom PK Table

From: Albert Jagnow (albert-jagno..iowa.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 25 2005 - 12:12:07 EDT

    I am working on a web version of an application that uses the same data
    as a legacy RPG application. The PK values for the tables come from a
    table with columns for table name and last used PK value. The legacy
    RPG application is adding records at the same time I am adding records
    from the web application. In my testing I have run into some problems
    with conflicting PK values. I was using DataObjectUtils.objectForPK
    passing in the table name to obtain the next PK value for the table, but
    this appears to not always grab the most current data from the table.
    What is the best method to quickly get and update the next PK value?
    Also does cayenne have the ability to use a PK delegate like in
    WebObjects, that will call my custom PK generation method for a given
    entity automatically when the data is to be written to the database?

    --Albert