Re: Eclipse Cayenne plugin

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 09:56:58 EDT

    On Aug 24, 2005, at 5:37 PM, Gentry, Michael ((Contractor)) wrote:

    > I agree with Andrus that it would be nice to have Cayenne Modeler
    > integrated within Eclipse, but that doesn't help those who use
    > IntelliJ, JBuilder, NetBeans, Emacs (sorry Kevin), etc. A
    > standalone modeler is the most flexible.

    > So ... My thoughts would be to mainly improve the modeler
    > (standalone), but make it possible to work as a plugin, too. Of
    > course, I don't even know how to make a button in a Java GUI (I
    > could help out doing Cocoa :-), so I don't know the issues involved
    > with the plugin approach.

    This is my thought exactly! Modeler will be developed on its own as a
    standalone Swing application that may include an XML view. A simple
    Eclipse plugin will start Modeler as a separate window in its own
    JVM, with some common event mechanism (e.g. using existing Cayenne
    EventManager that can easily send events across VMs). This way a
    plugin can work with any version of the Modeler and avoid dealing
    with Cayenne DTD versioning.

    The only change on the Swing side is "save" event broadcasting. It
    can be turned on during startup with a command line argument.

    As for refactoring, it can be done with class generator at the java
    level (forget the "DB refactoring" part - it is not realistic as we
    discussed many times). On model save event, class generator kicks in
    and then eclipse view is refreshed.

    Andrus