RE: Eclipse Cayenne plugin

From: Gentry, Michael \(Contractor\) ("Gentry,)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 09:37:39 EDT

    Hopefully I won't repeat too much of what others have said ...

    I agree with Andrus that it would be nice to have Cayenne Modeler integrated within Eclipse, but that doesn't help those who use IntelliJ, JBuilder, NetBeans, Emacs (sorry Kevin), etc. A standalone modeler is the most flexible. This wouldn't prevent setting up something in Eclipse to auto-run the modeler, though, when you click on a Cayenne XML file.

    Spindle does indeed help Tapestry development, but it is Eclipse-only (see comments above). What Tapestry could really use is a standalone visual editor (like WebObjects Builder), but that would require much more work. Of course, I suppose that's a bigger issue for the Tapestry community than this list.

    The refactoring issue has been discussed here before. It is really problematic. Different databases have different features (or lacks thereof). I remember using Oracle and not being able to drop or rename a column, but maybe they've fixed that by now? Also, even if that kind of support were available in your DB, it's really only useful in a development DB. I'd never ever ever point Cayenne Modeler at a production DB and click a mystical "refactor" button. I would need scripts that I could keep in CVS/Subversion/etc to update the production DB. And if I have scripts, I might as well use them to update the lower environments, too (need to test/debug them first, anyway). The best solution (in my opinion, of course) is to write your SQL update script, run it (make sure it works), then manually update your model to reflect the changes. There are even more issues involved, but I hope that made a little sense. Automatic refactoring of adds/deletes/renames/etc sounds great, but I think it is snake oil in actual practice.

    So ... My thoughts would be to mainly improve the modeler (standalone), but make it possible to work as a plugin, too. Of course, I don't even know how to make a button in a Java GUI (I could help out doing Cocoa :-), so I don't know the issues involved with the plugin approach.

    /dev/mrg