Re: Yet another optimistic locking question

From: Gili (cowwo..bs.darktech.org)
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 11:47:07 EDT

            I think you misunderstand me.

            I'm saying that in part 3 Cayenne compares its internal representation
    of 1 and 2 and it gathers up all fields that the user has changed during
    the transaction. Then it generates a "UPDATE SET" statement only
    consisting of fields the user has changed. Correct?

            All I am saying is that we can optimize comparison on Cayenne's part
    (when comparing part 1 and 2) because you could use a BitSet to know
    whether a field has been touched or not without having to compare the
    entire field value.

            This even makes BLOB optimistic locking much cheaper because the only
    time this becomes expensive. If we can wrap the BLOB data in some
    read-only structure so the getter() returns an unmodifiable array, then
    we can quite easily detect whether a blob has been changed or not
    without comparing its entire value.

            We still have send the changed data to the DB and granted this is slow,
    but I'm saying we can optimize the comparison that occurs before that.
    Did I miss something? :)

    Gili