Re: ObjectId immutability?

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..mail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 03 2005 - 20:45:35 EDT

    In theory is the object-oriented equivalent to a primary key.
    In practice, they're generally the same.
    However, it's possible to have TemporaryObjectId subclasses for
    objects that haven't had a primary key generated yet.

    It's also possible that in the future ObjectId could change to be
    something else like a universal ID (pk + timestamp + ip address, etc)
    to better support clustering.

    And ObjectID never changes, but an object can be assigned new
    ObjectIds (I'm pretty sure that's what happens when a new object is
    assigned a generated key, but I've never looked).

    -Mike