Re: CayenneDataObjects across RMI

From: Joshua Pyle (joshua.t.pyl..mail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 19:12:49 EDT

    Do not pass Cayenne data objects though RMI.

    I hear though that there is a multi-tier implementation of cayenne in the works.

    In the mean time, on the client you should recieve value objects
    instead of cayenne data objects. You might consider leaving the
    server side cayenne alone and adding a method to each Cayenne Data
    Object that returns a "value object"(bean) with the copied values.

    One issue you will have is getting related objects throught the "value
    object". You would need to implement code in the value object that
    was capable of connecting to your server side RMI and getting value
    objects related to the original "value object" in question.

    Hope this helps a bit. There is no easy way to pass Cayenne objects
    via RMI that I know of :-(

    --
    Joshua T. Pyle
    Go has always existed.

    On 9/14/05, Todd O'Bryan <toddobrya..ac.com> wrote: > I've run into a small problem and I'm hoping there's an easy fix. I'm > writing an application that uses RMI to fetch objects from a server. > The problem, of course, is that the objects are hollow when they get > grabbed, and then when I want to to do something with them, they're > in the JVM on the client machine and don't know how to fill in their > missing info. > > Is there a (mostly) standard way to handle this kind of thing? > > Thanks, > Todd >