Re: Feedback regarding Cayenne vs Hibernate

From: Gili (cowwo..bs.darktech.org)
Date: Thu Sep 15 2005 - 15:08:22 EDT

    Cris Daniluk wrote:
    > I would propose that the API stays the way it is - hiding the stuff
    > that most people just don't need to care about. I can tell you that I
    > got a team of developers up and running with Cayenne expertise far
    > faster than I have ever been able to with Hibernate, if that's any
    > consolation...

            You wrote "hiding the stuff that most people just don't need to care
    about" but that's exactly what I'm saying we need to do more of. I gave
    the example of clearing the context cache as an example.

            Another thing that isn't obvious (this one is Hibernate-specific) is
    that DataObjects are pretty much unusable when TRANSIENT. Coming from a
    Hibernate background, you can do to TRANSIENT objects anything you can
    do to NEW objects. Seeing as this isn't the case under Cayenne, we might
    want to make this more explicit and/or if possible encourage users to
    only invoke createAndRegisterNewObject() by deprecating
    registerNewObject(). I could be wrong on this particular point (maybe
    there are valid use-cases I haven't seen yet) but it's just an idea.

            (Is it ok to discuss this on the user mailing list or is this best
    discussed elsewhere?)

    Thanks,
    Gili