Re: [OT] Maven in Cayenne

From: jerome moliere (jerome.molier..mail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2007 - 06:59:04 EDT

    2007/3/14, Borut Bolčina <borut.bolcina@gmail.com>:

    > Hello!
    >
    > 2007/3/14, jerome moliere <jerome.moliere@gmail.com>:
    > >
    > > Hi Andrus,
    > > what a good question -)
    > > Maven is quite a dream, the idea is perfect, its powerful and quite easy
    > > use...
    > > But it can be a nightmare while trying to make serious unit tests,
    > please
    > > refer to the Cocoon build notes for pleasant notes, or find the blog
    > from
    > > my
    > > friend Stephane Bailliez member from the Joost team where he deals with
    > > this
    > > subject... Joost seems to keep an old solution based on ANT + Ivy
    > ..Works
    > > well...
    >

    > From what I read (it took me a while), I feel that Stephane will always be
    > on the rebel side (star wars) or in opposition (politics).

    not so sure , example given he loves windows -)

    I am sure he has
    > more experience than me in Maven 2 philosophy.

    In fact I just want to warn a big problem (like the cocoon members wrote in
    their build notes) it seems that Maven has some strange behaviours, very
    dispappointing when using continuus integration you may see several alerts
    (by mail) then one report telling that everything is ok..you changed nothing
    in your code and a test stops failing...
     Problem is clearly not about philosophy, because the idea is very
    interesting, convention over configuration is an evident idea...Everybody
    prefers convention over tons from xml code isn't it ?

    But until I learn something
    > better to manage corporate artifact dependencies (and 3rd party for that
    > matter), I will continue to learn Maven. I do have a tough skin. I will
    > look
    > at Ivy also, I am not a religious person.

    Ivy makes it easy for a while now...(I know this tool since 3 years ), you
    don't have to throw your ANT knowledge to be familiar with a new
    technology..

    No other comments...
    > > Oops just a small one, running after the latest release of any library
    > in
    > > the Maven repositories is quite boring, Spring 2 M 4 is available but
    > not
    > > final release, Hibernate 3.2 but not 3.2.1 or 3.2.2... Installing
    > manually
    > > jars on local repositories is a feature but should be quite rare while
    > its
    > > permanent...
    >

    > Not quite true. Look at
    > http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.springframework/spring
    > <dependency>
    > <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
    > <artifactId>spring</artifactId>
    > <version>2.0.3</version>
    > </dependency>
    >
    > You just have to know the right groupId. Same for Hibernate. The above
    > search site can help. Manually installing/deploying a jar is a 20 seconds
    > process. I see no down thumbs in that. A correctly laid out corporate
    > repository (Artifactory) might help - I am still looking at options.
    >
    > Having no big projects experience with Maven I can not judge. Personally,
    > will walk down the M street for a while - I hope it is not a one way ;-)

    your pointer is interesting (thanks) but I just want to say that these
    dependencies problems are quite from the packages stability while installing
    software on Unix machine, dependencies, bad packages configuration and you
    can reinstall your box...I don't have time to loose with finding the good
    package in the good release
    I was an ubuntu enthusiast since 3 years but since several packages
    dependencies made by aliens I decided to switch all my machines to
    solaris...While working on quite large projects I don't want to waste time
    with minor problems..

    My 2 cents
    Jerome

    --