Re: [OT] Maven in Cayenne

From: Borut Bolčina (borut.bolcin..mail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2007 - 17:12:13 EDT

    Hello!

    2007/3/14, jerome moliere <jerome.molier..mail.com>:

    > Hi Andrus,
    > what a good question -)
    > Maven is quite a dream, the idea is perfect, its powerful and quite easy
    > use...
    > But it can be a nightmare while trying to make serious unit tests, please
    > refer to the Cocoon build notes for pleasant notes, or find the blog from
    > my
    > friend Stephane Bailliez member from the Joost team where he deals with
    > this
    > subject... Joost seems to keep an old solution based on ANT + Ivy ..Works
    > well...

    From what I read (it took me a while), I feel that Stephane will always be
    on the rebel side (star wars) or in opposition (politics). I am sure he has
    more experience than me in Maven 2 philosophy. But until I learn something
    better to manage corporate artifact dependencies (and 3rd party for that
    matter), I will continue to learn Maven. I do have a tough skin. I will look
    at Ivy also, I am not a religious person.

    No other comments...
    > Oops just a small one, running after the latest release of any library in
    > the Maven repositories is quite boring, Spring 2 M 4 is available but not
    > final release, Hibernate 3.2 but not 3.2.1 or 3.2.2... Installing manually
    > jars on local repositories is a feature but should be quite rare while its
    > permanent...

    Not quite true. Look at
    http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.springframework/spring
    <dependency>
        <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
        <artifactId>spring</artifactId>
        <version>2.0.3</version>
    </dependency>

    You just have to know the right groupId. Same for Hibernate. The above
    search site can help. Manually installing/deploying a jar is a 20 seconds
    process. I see no down thumbs in that. A correctly laid out corporate
    repository (Artifactory) might help - I am still looking at options.

    Having no big projects experience with Maven I can not judge. Personally, I
    will walk down the M street for a while - I hope it is not a one way ;-)

    Cheers,
    Borut