Re: Querymetadata

From: jerome moliere (jerome.molier..mail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2007 - 10:02:38 EDT

    2007/4/16, Andrus Adamchik <andru..bjectstyle.org>:

    > On Apr 16, 2007, at 3:28 PM, jerome moliere wrote:
    >
    > > thanks for the reply andrus...
    > > so rather than imaginating factories with named configuration
    > > parameters
    > > (metadata) I'd put in place named queries carrying the
    > > configuration ?
    > > Why not.....
    >
    > Jerome,
    >
    > As it happened in the past a few times, I suspect I don't fully
    > understand what you are trying to do. Use a standard query? Build a
    > custom query? Something else? Could you clarify please.

    I can try to be more clear... But I think that you provide me the good way
    to do that in the Cayenne
    spirit...
    In a traditional architecture, services tier invoke dao tier to
    retrieve/store data from db...
    CRUD operations tainted with business experience are all present in one
    tier: the dao one..
    But all service operations won't invoke the same technical services in the
    same manner ...
    Batch operations invoked from daemons or reports won't use the same
    underlying configuration for the same technical service .... A search page
    against the customer database won't retrieve all customers while reports or
    batches may want to retrieve the whole database isn't it ?
    So I imagine to create (with a simple map) a repository of configurations (I
    imagine that Metadata could have been these configurations but sounds false
    after your first reply), technical services being invoked with a simple
    string parameter to point to one of the configuration...
    We may think that business service don't need to know such low level of
    details but it's the only way to avoid copy/paste and everybody knows danger
    of code duplication.. I don't want to have 2 implementations of the same
    search service even if there are 2 (or more) usage contexts..

    I hope to be clear...
    Once again I think that your answer is perfect.... It's just a refactoring
    of the code I planned to put in place...

    Cheers
    jerome

    Jerome Moliere - Mentor/J
    http://romjethoughts.blogspot.com/