Re: Java Client

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..aniatis.org)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2007 - 08:36:21 EDT

    On 26/06/2007, at 11:36 PM, Florijan Stamenkovic wrote:

    > 1. Are there many people using Java Clients with Cayenne?

    Probably quite a few. Here's ours: www.ish.com.au/oncourse You can
    download and play with it since it is free....

    > 2. How do the users of it see the effort / results proportion?

    Terrific. We always wish that code just wrote itself :-) but Cayenne
    has worked really well.

    > 3. Is there a sub-community in Cayenne working together on solving
    > common JC problems, I am especially interested in integrating it
    > with rich Swing apps?

    I am not aware of one, but perhaps this list is a good place to
    start. If others get bored we could always form a separate group, but
    let's see who is interested. Some of things we've done with Cayenne/
    Swing which may be of interest are:

    * a controller hierarchy (not strict MVC but almost) which deals with
    Cayenne objects within a Swing layout
    * listeners and events which load values directly into subclasses of
    text areas, jlabels, combos, etc, etc.
    * a pretty sophisticated type-ahead (clairvoyance) field
    * Cayenne validation propagated visually back to entry areas within
    the GUI

    I'd guess that about 30-50 man-months of effort have gone into our
    GUI and how it interacts with Cayenne. Quite a lot of work for a
    small company like us, but the results have been very nice. Under
    some circumstances I'd consider opening up what we've done to others
    but I'm a little concerned about the amount of effort for us to
    document and generalise some of our code suitable for outsiders to
    use, particularly given the large amount of work we have on at the
    moment.

    > 4. If someone is familiar with both EOF and Cayenne, can you draw
    > some comparison (related to JC possibilities and handling)?

    Our initial decision to go with Cayenne was based on licensing issues
    with EOF some years ago and the lack of documentation about EOF three-
    tier. We are glad we decided the go the way we did. Although the
    technologies are similar in many ways, Cayenne of course has the
    clear advantage of being completely transparent: if you want to add a
    feature or fix a bug you can...

    Ari Maniatis

    Aristedes Maniatis
    phone +61 2 9660 9700
    PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2 A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8